We provide building enclosure consulting services on new construction projects ranging from single family dwellings to high rises with unitized curtain wall assemblies. Our basic services focus on the review of the building enclosure with respect to air leakage, vapour diffusion, and precipitation.
Our services typically include:
Pre-Construction Phase (Design Development, Building Permit, and Construction Documents)
- Building Enclosure Strategies – We will review the architectural drawings during design development, and meet with the project team to provide conceptual advice on the risks and benefits of various building enclosure strategies. Besides management of air leakage, vapour diffusion, and precipitation, we will consider ease of construction, scheduling, suitability of materials, maintenance and renewals, and economy.
- Drawings and Specifications Review – We will review the architectural drawings and specifications (building enclosure specific sections) at approximately the 50% and 90% complete stages, and provide recommendations to the project team with respect to the building enclosure.
- Regulatory Requirements – We will provide necessary letters of assurance to the authority having jurisdiction to satisfy their requirements with respect to the building enclosure, as appropriate.
- LEED Durable Building Credit – If the LEED Durable Building Credit is pursued, we will provide services to support this credit.
- Shop Drawings, Submittals, RFIs – We will review shop drawings, submittals, and RFIs related to the building enclosure.
- Mock-ups – We will recommend mock-ups of key building enclosure assemblies, and review the mock-ups constructed on site. These mock-ups can typically be constructed as part of the finished assembly.
- Field Review – We will conduct periodic field review to help confirm that the construction of the building enclosure components is in general conformance with the Contract Documents. This will include the enclosure assemblies reviewed during the Pre-Construction Stage. We will issue Field Review Reports that will include a description of the work progress, observations, actions required, and scheduling. The Reports will also collate outstanding “action items” that remain unanswered or unresolved, ensuring satisfaction of an “audit trail” of construction issues. Digital photographs will be taken to document aspects of the work and be included in the Reports.
- On-site Testing – We will conduct window and door water penetration testing in general conformance with ASTM E1105.
- Regulatory Requirements – We will provide the necessary final letter of assurance to the authority having jurisdiction to satisfy their requirements with respect to the building enclosure, as appropriate.